Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Teaching Children Through Role Play



Role playing can be useful in many situations.  For example, how to react when someone new greets you, what to say to someone when you are not in the mood of talking to them (yet be polite), and how to approach a new classmate.  Role playing can also be useful in a situation where a child is being bullied, having a hard time communicating properly with a sibling, or having a hard time asking an adult for something in a respectful way.


Example 1:  Shira has a friend Simi  who is controlling and manipulative.   She constantly tells her things like "if you don't listen to me and do what I want to do, I will not be your friend,"   or "if you talk to another girl, I will not talk to you."  Shira has a  hard time with this and does not know how how to deal with this type of situation.   
role play with mom acting as Shira's friend:
Mom: "You must come color with me right now!"
Shira: "I dont want to, I am in the middle of playing ball"
Mom: "If you do not come color with me, I will not be your friend!"
Shira: "Although I like you a lot,  I am playing ball right now. If you don't want to be my friend, I will find a new friend."
Shira's mom explained to her what it means to be manipulated. Through role playing, she was able to give Shira tools to deal with a manipulative friend situation.
Example 2: Benny came home from school in tears. His classmates didn't like his new pair of shoes and told him so.  Although Benny liked his new shoes, he felt embarassed to wear them again and was afraid of being made fun of.  
Role Play:
Mom:  "Benny, Those shoes are so ugly!  They look like old man shoes."
Benny: "I am wearing them because I like them! If you dont like them, you dont have to wear them!"
Mom: "But you look so silly in them!"
Benny:  "Telling someone that something is ugly is not nice! If you don't like what I am wearing think it in your head, but please dont tell me about it."
Benny's mom taught him how everyone has different taste. What matters is that WE like what we wear. Even if one person thinks something is beautiful someone else might think it's ugly because everyone has a different style!  She also taught him how some kids do not realize that its not nice to tell others everything they think.  It is something they need to learn.
Example 3:  Sarah's mom asked her to clean her room.  She was in middle of playing a game and ignored her moms request.  When Sarah's mom asked her again, Sarah answered "Cant you see I'm in the middle of playing this game?!"   
Role Play:
Mom: "Sarah, Please go clean your room"
Sarah: "Mom, Is it ok if I clean my room when I am finished playing this game?"
Role playing should not be forced but if it is done in an encouraging fun way,  it can help children learn and give them tools to deal with many situations. Through positive feedback and practice, they can learn to see a different perspective and have a greater confidence in knowing how to react.




1 comment:

Hindel said...

Another effective use for role play, is using role play to teach our kids about abuse.